The Vice President resides over the senate. The senate is broken into three committees: academic, student affaris and external. These committees create their own initiatives and the members are responsible for fulfilling these throughout the administration.
Senators are elected by the part of the student body they are affiliated with, i.e. sophomores, juniors, residential, non-residential, etc. Applications open in early March and are to be completed online as with the Presidential and Executive applications. Candidates will campaign, results will be released and the winners will be sworn in at the Inauguration.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Shall serve a term of one calendar year or until a successor is installed.
- Shall abide by all rules and regulations and perform all duties as prescribed by the Student Government Association Constitution and By-Laws.
- Each Senator shall have one vote
- Shall be responsible to the Student Government Association Vice President.
- Shall be responsible for composing at least one piece of legislation per semester during his/her term of office.
- Shall give at least two (2) weeks notice to the Vice President of the Student Government Association, should I decide to vacate my position. If two (2) weeks notice is not given, any and all scholarships awarded to this position are forfeited.
- Shall perform any and all other duties deemed necessary by the Executive Cabinet or the Student Senate.
- Shall Consider requests by the Executive Branch
The Student Senate shall have the power to…
- To approve all appointments originating from the President of the Student Body, the Vice President of the Student Body and the Student Senate by a majority vote of those Senators present.
- To approve or deny the recognition of student groups as official University organizations on the basis that the groups do discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, national origin or sexual orientation by a majority vote of those Senators present.
- To approve formal resolutions necessary and proper to promote the general welfare of the Student Body, by a two-thirds majority vote of those Senators present.
- To approve the proposed budget of the Student Government Association prior to the funding by the University through established procedures, by a two-thirds majority vote of those Senators present.
- To enact and amend The Student of Government Association By-Laws for the orderly conduct of its business by a two-thirds majority vote of the entire membership of the Student Senate.
- To impeach and convict any member of the Student Government Association by two-thirds majority vote of the entire membership of the Student Senate. Impeachment shall fall under the pretenses of malfeasance, misfeasance and/or nonfeasance. Judgment in cases of impeachment shall not extend further than immediate removal from office and disqualification to hold any office of honor, profit or trust in the Student Government Association.
- To override a presidential veto by two-thirds majority vote of those Senators present for all legislation originally passed by a majority vote and to override a presidential veto by three fourths majority vote of those Senators present for all legislation originally passed by a two thirds majority vote.
- To make all student laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the Student Government Association by a majority vote of those Senators present.
- Senators shall receive a stipend which shall be approved by the Student Senate by a majority vote of those Senators present.
- In the event that the office of Senator is vacated for any reason, it shall be the duty of the Vice President of the Student Body to appoint an individual of appropriate academic class or residential classification to the vacated office.
- All Senators shall attend all General Session meetings of the Student Government Association but shall be granted two un-excused absences per semester.
- All Senators shall attend all Student Senate Session but shall be granted two unexcused absences and two proxies per semester. A proxy may be any non-Student Government Association Officer who meets the same eligibility requirements as the Senator that he or she represents. In a meeting of the Student Senate, a proxy cannot be recognized by the acting chair for purposes of debate, and the responsibilities of a proxy in Student Senate shall be limited to only voting privileges.
- All Senators, shall be members of one Standing Committee, but shall be granted two un-excused absences per semester.
- Shall attend all Senate committee meetings but shall be given two un-excused absences per semester.
- When it is necessary to be absent from or when a proxy is sent to a meeting (General Meeting, Student Senate Session, committee meeting, etc.) Senators shall notify the presiding officer using the Student Government Association Absence/Proxy Form. Notification should be submitted no less than twenty-four hours prior to the meeting. If proper notification is not given, the absence shall be un-excused except in unexpected and serious situations.
- The Clerk of the Senate shall be responsible for notifying the Chief of Staff of any un-excused absences.
- It shall be the responsibility of the Chief of Staff to notify any Senators when he or she has received an un-excused absence from a General Meeting of the Student Government Association, a Student Senate Session or a committee meeting. Lack of notification, though, shall not excuse a Senator who receives excessive un-excused absences.
- When a Senator has received un-excused absences in excess of the number granted for committee meeting, Student Senate Session, or General Meetings of the Student Government Association, the Vice President shall ask the Senator to resign before impeachment proceeding begin.
- Shall maintain one (1) hours per week in the Student Government Association office.
- All Senators shall log weekly their completed office hours and a description of the service rendered during those hours in the Student Government Association Office. Failure to Log hours will result in a failure to complete a senator’s required office hours.
- No Senator shall be allowed to maintain less than five hours per week more than twice per semester, nor shall any Senator be allowed to maintain an average of less than five office hours per week per semester.
- It shall be the responsibility of the Chief of Staff to notify all Senators when they have failed to maintain or record a full week of office hours. Lack of notification, though, shall not excuse a Senator who receives excessive un-excused absences.
- When a Senator has failed to maintain the minimum number of office for more than two weeks in a semester, the Vice President shall ask the Senator to resign before impeachment proceedings begin.
- Office Hours shall be defined as hours spent working in the Student Government Association Office or time spent outside of the Office doing Student Government Association related business. Time spent in a General Meeting of the Student Government Association or a Student Session shall not count as office hours.
- Regular Office Hours shall be from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
- In unexpected and serious situations, the Vice President shall excuse a Senator from his or her office hours.
- Each Senator shall maintain an overall average of five office hours per week at the end of each semester in order to be eligible to receive a stipend. All weeks excused or found incomplete, shall be included in this average.
- All Senators, within a month of taking office, shall attend a workshop organized by the Vice President on Student Senate procedure and Robert’s Rules of Order.
- All Senators shall attend a workshop organized by the legislative librarian on legislative procedure.
- All Senators shall sign the Senator job description within one month of taking office. The assigned signature shall be an assurance that each Senator is aware of the duties of a Senator. Each job description shall acknowledge that the Senator shall obtain a working knowledge of Robert’s Rules of Order, Newly Revised and that The Constitution of the Student Body of The University of North Carolina at Asheville and its supplementary documents have been read and understood. Any Senator who has not signed this job description shall be ineligible to receive a stipend.